1) diversify (although this method is for whimps, lol), see Cramer
2) dividend yield, only picks stocks with nice, consistent dividends (ie CVX or XOM)
3) fairly stable stock price even in tough times (i.e. PG and other big board stocks)
4) NO pink sheet or OTCBB stocks! If you have a serious (ie retirement) portfolio, these will end up screwing you more times than not. Stick with BIG BOARD stocks.
- Don't be afraid to rebalance. Sometimes you need to move money around.
- Don't go "all in"! Keep 10-20% aside for short term plays and just in case all hell breaks loose.
Disclaimer: Any stocks I comment on are my opinion only. Play the stock market at your own risk!
Plays: VRNG WHZ NOG
SMC - THE BEST STOCK MARKET FORUM
FREE LIVE CHAT if you join Stock Market Cats
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Government is America's Biggest Threat!
Last edited by BadThad; 04-02-2010 at 10:14 AM.